Thursday, September 9, 2010

Samurai Noodle

I’m not a big fan of baseball, but it’s a great excuse to drive to Seattle and eat at my favorite ramen shop. Samurai Noodle is located on the west side of the Uwajimaya building in the International District (606 5th Ave S). If you’re going to a game at Safeco or Qwest Fields, it’s an easy walk from almost all event parking. They also validate if you park in Uwajimaya’s lot.


The place is tiny… only nine tables (many of which only seat two people), but they allow you to order and take it inside Uwajimaya where there is more seating. We’ve been lucky and never had to do that.

The first time we went, I ordered the tonkotsu ramen. It is very simple… perfectly cooked ramen with black mushrooms and green onions in a rich, savory pork broth. I dove into it, completely forgetting to take a picture of it until it was too late. Fortunately, the next time we went, my boyfriend took a picture of his bowl before it was summarily demolished. He ordered his with corn, but it was otherwise the same.


Upon sitting at our table, I noticed a small poster on the wall…
|


Tampopo is my FAVORITE foreign movie EVER, but it was too late to order another bowl at that point (and I was just plain too stuffed). It would have to wait for another day.


A month later, that day came!!

(isn’t it beautiful???)

Like the old man in the movie, I sat there contemplating it for a moment… but only for a moment...



It was almost everything I had hoped for… however, after having had the pork broth on our previous visit, I was already hopelessly addicted to that. It was well worth the experience, but I think I’ll just keep trying something different every time we go. We also shared an order of the pork shou mai (outstandingly delicious little steamed dumplings), but those also disappeared before photos were taken. Oh well, there’s always next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment