Friday, September 10, 2010

Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Dates

I've always loved Moroccan food, and with the severe lack of North African restaurants in my area, I was extremely happy when a friend turned me on to a recipe similar to this.  Rather than look for preserved lemons in a store (which I knew would be virtually impossible to find), I decided to try my hand at making them at home.  A quick search of the web led me to THIS BLOG, and off I went.  It's an easy procedure, but you have to be patient and wait... and wait... and wait...

After about a month, you're ready to cook something with them!




This picture was taken the day I started the preserving process, so you can still see some of the undissolved salt.  I also added cinnamon sticks for extra flavor.



Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Dates



2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 t. paprika
3 t. cumin
1 1/2 t. cayenne
1 1/2 t. ginger
1 1/2 t. turmeric
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
2 t. kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
1 preserved lemon, (pulp removed, peel rinsed and sliced)
about 4 oz. whole pitted dates, quartered lengthwise


Combine spices, garlic, and olive oil in a large dish. Add chicken, coat well, and let marinate for as long as possible (at least three hours). Heat a large skillet. Cook chicken pieces in the oil/spice mix for about 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and nicely browned. Add preserved lemon and dates; cook until nicely caramelized and all ingrdients are combined, about another 5 minutes. Serve with couscous or rice pilaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment