Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stink- Cheese & Meat

Stink is the new "aroma of Tacoma"... take a big whiff... we smell GOOD!!!

S-4.jpg

And I must say, they do.  They don't just smell good.  They smell incredible... and they taste even better!

I heard about this store/deli through a couple friends, way back at the beginning of the year.  There was talk around town about a new cheese shop in the works, and everyone was buzzing.  Gritty Tacomans need their cheese!  We were ecstatic to hear there would soon be one in the north end.  Through Facebook, I found the Stink- Cheese & Meat page and immediately "liked" it.  I anxiously awaited updates.  Having grown up in retail, I have an idea of how long it takes to actually open a store, so I was patient.  And I waited.

And waited.

And waited (patiently, I might add).

Finally, a couple of weeks ago, the Stink opened it's doors!!!  And I missed the announcement.  I must have blinked or something.  This actually turned out to be a good thing for me, as it gave me a chance to hear other people's opinions on what to order on my first trip there.  Even with their concise menu, I probably would have stood there for half an hour drooling all over the counters before I could decide.

Last Saturday, I dragged The Petulant One (Miko) out of the house for our first foray to Stink.  I told her we were going downtown to take pictures and maybe have lunch.  I didn't EXACTLY lie... we DID take pictures and we WERE downtown, but my prime objective was LUNCH!

Stink Cheese & Meat is located at 628 St. Helens Ave. in what I would consider the Stadium District (but I'm old school).  More recently it has been glopped into the theater district, and even MORE recently it has been called the Triangle Neighborhood.  If you're from the north end, you'll know where it is.  If not, call them at 253-426-1347 and I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you where they are.

(at this point I have to admit I was completely remiss in asking everyone's names and taking pictures of them to include in this post.  I feel really bad about that, because they were all so wonderful to us!!)

In the months leading up to the store's opening, I was hoping it would be more of a traditional cheese and cured meat store... not like a butcher shop or anything, but more like a complete meat and cheese shop you would see in parts of Europe.  It's not so much like that... yet.  They have a small meat and cheese case...

S-4.jpg

...with a small but impressive assortment of meats and cheeses...

S-4.jpg

They also have a wine rack (please note the sign for in-house consuming)...

S-4.jpg

and several beers on tap (Bitburger Pilsner, Leavenworth IPA, New Belgium Abbey Ale, and Pike Monk's Uncle Ale).

The space itself is industrial/cozy.  I adore the color scheme and the general decor.  I love the live rosemary plants on every table.

The Petulant One waits for her food...

S-4.jpg

We ordered THE Turkey sandwich.

S-4.jpg

 That's not a typo.  It is THE Turkey sandwich... and it is mouth-wateringly delicious.  Sliced smoked turkey with mixed greens, a mango chutney mayo, and the creamiest bleu cheese you've ever tasted on a magnificently fresh rustic roll.  It comes with a small side house salad, which was the same greens and cheese from the sandwich, sliced red grapes, candied nuts, and their house balsamic dressing.  The one sandwich and salad fed the two of us quite nicely for lunch.

There were many things on the daily list that I wanted to try... the grilled cheese of the day... with king crab, fontina, avacado, and red onion aioli almost distracted me from my mission.  There is also the house mac and cheese that I must try, being the mac and cheese snob... I mean afficianado... that I am.  In the end, I wanted to buy some of the marvelous looking proscuitto in the case, but we were going to be in town for several more hours and I didn't want to leave it sitting in the car for that long.

S-4.jpg

DEFINITELY next time!!!  I'm drooling just looking at the picture...

You might just be able to tell that I was slightly happy with my experience at Stink.  Just a little.  I might just go back.

As soon as possible.

Click here for their Facebook page.

MENU (not including daily specials)-

S-4.jpg


Revisited- 5/4/2011

Yes... we went back already...

This time I had the prosciutto and brie with rosemary/fig confit sandwich, like I had planned...

sandwich2.jpg

It was wonderful.  HOWEVER... I had a bite of Brian's salami sandwich and almost started making inappropriate noises right then and there...

sandwich2.jpg

Oh.

My.

God.

The best thing I've had there so far.  THE BEST!!  I almost regret ordering the prosciutto and brie (but not really... it was fantastic too... just not quite as good as the salami).  Brian also had the soup of the day, which was vegetable couscous.  Again... one of the best things EVER!!

Something else I discovered today...

They sell real balsamic.  REAL balsamic.  In unlabeled bottles.  For only $12.00!!  I can stop hoarding my last bottle from Canada and start making my balsamic cream chicken again!!  I am overjoyed!!!  If you don't know the difference between real balsamic and the stuff you get at the grocery store, ask for a small sample.  It's amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Next time I am getting the proscuitto and brie... I'm dying a slow death just THINKING about it right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city, News Tribune and a few of the businesses call the area the St. Helens neighborhood or district

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited...Kris made that turkey sandwich famous at Vin Grotto...overjoyed to see it again! Those amazing photos and mouth-watering descriptions make me want to head on down there, RIGHT NOW! The balsamic!!! The balsamic! *drool* Great review and photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete