Saturday, May 14, 2011

It all started with the words...

"We need to do something with this watermelon."

I had bought a small watermelon for Cinco de Mayo.  It was the smallest one I could find, but half of it still sat in the refrigerator taking up space.  After shuffling it around several times, Brian uttered the words that apparently sent my brain into creative mode.

We could just eat it.  I had also been contemplating a watermelon pie for several weeks, but that would have meant me going to the store for more ingredients.  Determined to make a complete meal with only the things I had on hand, I went to work.  About an hour later, I had it all typed out and ready for a test run.


Watermelon Salsa

4 C. diced watermelon
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced (I used Vidalia)
1/2 C. chopped cilantro
large pinch kosher salt
1 T. GOOD balsamic

Combine all ingredients.  Cover and chill one hour.


watermelonsalsa.jpg


Curry Spiced Grilled Pork Loin

4 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1 pork loin, 2-3 lbs

In small food processor (mini chopper), combine all ingredients except pork. Process until thoroughly combined.  Place pork in large ziplock bag. Pour spice mixture over meat and shake around until evenly coated. Seal bag and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

Preheat gas grill to medium high.  Quickly sear on all sides, then turn flame down to medium-low.  Grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through (about 40 minutes or until internal temperture reaches 155 degrees).  Remove from grill and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.


watermelonsalsa.jpg



Coconut Couscous

1 T. butter
1/2 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange), diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2-3 green onions, sliced
2 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 C. unsweetened coconut milk
1 C. chicken broth
2 T. cilantro, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1 C. couscous

Melt butter in medium saucepan.  Saute bell pepper and garlic until tender but not browned.  Stir in green onions, lime juice, coconut milk, chicken broth, cilantro, and pepper to taste.  Bring to boil and remove from heat.  Stir in couscous, cover and let stand five minutes.  Fluff with fork and serve.


Lemon/Garlic Broccoli Spears

1 lb. fresh broccoli, cut into spears
2 T. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste

Steam broccoli until just tender.  In small saucepan, slowly melt butter with remaining ingredients.  Toss broccoli with lemon/garlic butter and serve.

watermelonsalsa.jpg


Oh.  My.  God.

This was probably one of the best overall meals I've ever made in my life, and the amazing part is I didn't even look up other recipes to get ideas!!  I just stood in my kitchen, seeing what I had, and jotting down things I thought sounded good together.  I completely impressed myself... hahahaha!!

Now when you go to make this yourself (because you know you will!), it may look rather complicated.  It's not.  Much of it is do ahead, and the rest of it is toss-together while the pork rests.  If you can find someone to watch the pork on the grill for you, that's even better.

If you like grilling and quick, easy, flavorful side dishes, this is the meal for you!

1 comment:

  1. I wanna eat it, but I do nooot wanna make it!

    ReplyDelete