Thursday, May 5, 2016

Chicken Chop Suey


Growing up, I was always intrigued by those cans of chop suey mix. I have no idea why. Maybe it was the big, colorful label. Maybe it was the smaller can taped to the top. Maybe it was the fact that my mom refused to buy it. Who knows... I was a peculiar child. After I moved out on my own, I decided it was finally time to avail myself of the international delight that I had been cruelly denied.

Yeah. Mom was right. As usual.

I almost immediately set to work on making the best darned chop suey I could. If you have ever been subjected to the mushy, metallic-tasting glop from a can, please give this a try. It is worth every second of prep!



1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed 
1 t. ground ginger 
1 T. oil 
1 small onion, cut into wedges 
1 small carrot, julienned 
2 C. celery, bias cut 
1/4 C. red bell pepper, chopped 
2 C. fresh snow peas 
2 C. fresh bean sprouts 
1 can sliced waterchestnuts, drained 
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained 
dash garlic powder 
1 C. chicken broth 
1/4 C. soy sauce 
1 1/2 T. cornstarch 
1 t. sesame oil 
chow mein noodles and hot cooked rice

In small bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, and garlic powder; whisk in cornstarch. Set aside. Heat wok over high until almost smoking. Add oil and stir-fry chicken until no longer pink (about 3 minutes), adding ginger about halfway through. Remove and set aside. Reheat wok, adding more oil if necessary. Stir-fry onion, carrots, celery, and bell pepper for 2 minutes. Add pea pods; stir-fry 1 minute. Add bean sprouts; stir-fry 1 minute. Add waterchestnuts, mushrooms, and chicken; stir-fry until heated through. Add sauce mixture to wok; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add sesame oil and stir thoroughly. Serve over rice, topped with chow mein noodles.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds easy and very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those thing I just can't get enough of. I'll eat it until I can't move... lol!

    ReplyDelete