Saturday, May 28, 2016

Cheddar Beer Bread with Scallions and Rosemary

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Although it has been proven that Benjamin Franklin never actually said this, I believe it is nonetheless true. Beer is one of my favorite things to drink, cook, and bake with, and tonight's dinner involved two out of the three (we went out last night, so I'm giving my liver a break today). I decided to make beef stew, so naturally I dumped a bottle of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA into the cooking liquid. Then, I thought we should have some sort of bread-like thing to sop up the lovely gravy. Did I mention we went out last night and I'm feeling particularly lazy today? At first I thought dumplings... then drop biscuits... but even those seemed like too much work. Then it hit me... why not a loaf of savory quick bread? Perfect!! I whipped this up while the stew was stewing and all was right with the world.



Cheddar Beer Bread with Scallions and Rosemary
(because scallions sound fancier than green onions, right?)

3 C. all-purpose flour
1 t. kosher salt
1 T. baking powder
1 1/4 C. shredded sharp cheddar, divided 
1/4 C. chopped scallions
1 t. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 T. honey
1 bottle (12 oz) beer... pretty much anything you have on hand, although a super hoppy IPA might be a little bitter for this. I used Riding Solo single hop pale ale by 10 Barrels Brewing. I think a stout or amber would be good also. I'd save the Bud or Coors for doing beer can chicken though (we never have that in the house anyway... lol!).

Preheat oven to 375° and grease a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add 1 C. of cheese (reserving 1/4 C.), scallions, and rosemary, tossing well until evenly distributed. Add honey and beer, stirring until no dry flour is visible (lumps are okay).

Spread dough into loaf pan, smoothing the top until dough fills pan to the edges. Bake for 25 minutes, then top with reserved 1/4 C. of cheese. Return to oven for another 20-25 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.


1 comment:

  1. The texture of this bread was AMAZING!!! Crisp, crunchy, cheesy exterior... moist, dense, almost French bread chewy interior... so much yum!

    ReplyDelete