Friday, August 12, 2011

THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!



There's a reason I don't buy a lot of bananas in the summer. They get ripe fast... really fast. They attract fruit flies... nay, they IMPORT fruit flies. My go-to overripe banana recipe is banana bread, and as much as we love it, it's not really a summer-friendly recipe. So I try to not have bananas around...

That didn't work so well this week. I ended up with several pounds of bananas, and Brian won't eat them past a certain point. Even though I kept them under a food net on the counter, the fruit fly population was still doubling by the hour (I AM NOT EXAGGERATING!!). This morning I woke up and knew something had to be done about the banana situation. After some brief contemplation, exploration of the cupboards, and adaptation of recipes I'd made in the past, I came up with this cake. Fortunately it was in the low 70s today, so having the oven on for an hour wasn't unbearable. People not living in cooler climes will probably want to wait for fall to try this. It is definitely worth the wait!!



Banana Pineapple Cake


3 1/2 C. cake flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 C. sugar
1. t. salt
1 1/4 C, vegetable oil
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained
2 t. vanilla
3 eggs
2 C. VERY ripe bananas (4-5), gently mashed (I use a pastry blender and leave some nice chunky pieces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a standard size (12 C.) bundt pan. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Add oil, pineapple, vanilla, eggs, and banana, Stir gently until combined, then mix by hand until well blended. Pour into bundt pan and bake for about 1 hour or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. Ice with vanilla glaze.



(notice that by using a bundt pan you are also utilizing aperture science... )




Vanilla Glaze

1 1/2 cups confectioners's sugar
1 T. milk
1/8 t. salt
2 t. vanilla extract
1 T. butter

Melt the butter and add to rest of ingredients. Mix until creamy. Place cake on wire rack over rimmed pan, slowly pour glaze over until cake is coated. Let stand until set.




This is a wonderfully moist delicious cake you can garnish several ways (or not at all). One thing I was thinking of was a banana split cake... a slice of this cake garnished with strawberry slices, a drizzle of hot fudge sauce, and a marachino cherry or two. Enjoy!!













2 comments:

  1. made this before...friggin amazeballs...getting craving...must make again...danke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made this in forever! I think I might have to now that my Bundt pan is unpacked. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete