Friday, December 9, 2011

Curry-rubbed Tilapia

0012.jpg


As you may have noticed, tilapia has become my new favorite fish.  I buy it IQF from my local restaurant supply store, so it's cheap, quick and easy.  The only problem I've had is seasoning it properly  I call it the tofu of fish, not because of the texture but because it takes on the flavors of anything you cook it with.  It has virtually no flavor of it's own, so you REALLY have to season it.  That isn't an issue with this recipe... it turned out MARVELOUS!!  This is probably my new favorite way of cooking it!  If you've never tried tilapia before, you really must.


Curry-rubbed Tilapia

4 4-6 oz. tilapia fillets
2 T. curry powder
1/2 t. cayenne
1 t. kosher salt
cooking spray
mango chutney (commercial or homemade)

Combine seasonings in a small bowl.  Rub curry mixture generously on both sides of fillets.  Let stand about 15 minutes.  Spray large non-stick frying pan and heat over medium-high until almost smoking.  Add fillets and cover.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Turn, cover and cook until fish flakes easily, about another 3-4 minutes.  Top with one tablespoon of chutney.

160 calories per serving (one fillet)


Indian Spiced Spinach

1 16 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, unthawed
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 large jalapenos, seeded, ribbed and finely chopped
2 T. ginger root, finely minced
2 t. ground coriander
1 t. cumin
1 t. turmeric
1/2 t. cayenne
1 t. kosher salt
3/4 C. plain non-fat yogurt, strained (I use Greek style... it's already strained)

In a large saute pan, cook onion, garlic, jalapenos and ginger in oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.  Add seasonings and cook until fragrant, about another 2 minutes.  Stir in spinach and cover.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is tender, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.

Make about 3 6 oz. servings.  95 calories per serving.


Served with a one cup portion of basmati rice, this meal totals 494 calories.  I made it with white basmati because that's what I had, but the next time I replenish I'm going to get brown basmati.

No comments:

Post a Comment