Friday, November 12, 2010

Doing The Puyallup

AKA eating our way through the Western Washington State Fair.

With my marriage of 27 years coming to an end, my life in disarray, and not really knowing WHAT was going to come next, I did the only thing I could think of... went to the fair and ate everything I possibly could.  I knew this was probably the last time I would have an opportunity to spend as much money as I could on food there, so I took advantage.  The following is just a sample of what was available to shove in my face, but I managed to hit the highlights (before I felt the need to start waddling).

First things first.  You cannot go much beyond the entrance without running into a Krusty Pup stand, so that's where we started.

001-1.jpg picture by O-chick80

It may look like your ordinary corndog, but it is so much more.  Believe me.

003-4.jpg

This one had an extra node of batter, but nevermind...

They offer other condiments to have with your pup, but the only truly acceptable thing to put on it is mustard.  Just... mustard.

004-5.jpg

Nom on a stick...

005-4.jpg

If you're thinking of going on any rides (such as the Extreme Scream), I suggest you do it at this point.  After much more food, there is an exponentially greater risk of revisiting what you've eaten in an unpleasant manner.  Just sayin'.

006-3.jpg

The next stop was Longhorn Barbeque.

007-1.jpg

I ordered my usual from there... bbq pork sandwich with potato salad and beans...

008.jpg

Normally this is heaven on a bun.  Slow smoked over a real wood fire... little to no sauce (they have it in bottles to add if you choose)... perfect ratio of meat to porky fatty goodness... however, this year was more like something I would cook at home in a Crock-Pot.  It was okay, but it was a far cry from the REAL bbq pork sandwiches I've gotten there in the past.  I was disappoint.

Moving along, we hit the next mandatory food item... roasted corn on the cob...

009-1.jpg

Dripping with butter, of course...

010.jpg

(maybe we should have gotten the pork sandwiches at Murph's instead of the corn...)

011.jpg

012-1.jpg

After that it was time for something sweet.  Fudge!!

013.jpg

They make it right there, on site.

014.jpg

Decisions, decisions...

015.jpg

Decision made.

016.jpg

One of the guys said "Don't you have anything more exciting to take pictures of than people making fudge?"

017.jpg

I said "Not really."

Artfully displayed food items... like I said... there wasn't really a whole lot more exciting than the fudge...

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

Next on the sweets agenda is Elephant Ears.  Who can resist fried dough with almost an entire stick of butter and cinnamon sugar smeared all over it???

020.jpg

(the people working here looked at me like I was insane for taking pictures of EVERYTHING)

021-1.jpg

Nom nom nom nom...

022-1.jpg

This was just pretty in the dark, so yeah...

023-1.jpg

Last, but far from least, are the scones...

024-1.jpg

If you're not from here, you probably don't understand our obsession with scones from the fair.  It is tradition... nay, mandatory... to stand in line FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES to get your bag(s) of scones to take home with you.  This year we only waited 45 minutes.  Yes.  Only 45 minutes.

025-1.jpg

026.jpg

What you get for your patience is a warm, crusty yet fluffy, triangle of heaven filled with real butter and raspberry jam.  There are no other options.  It's butter and raspberry jam or NOTHING!!  And we like it that way.

027.jpg

We will eat them until we can't stand the sight of them anymore, then long for them until the next September.  They're just... that... good.

028.jpg

So there you have it.  I know some of you are probably thinking "Where's all the funky fair food we're always hearing about?  Fried Twinkies and all that?"  Well my friends, I don't do that stuff.  When I go to eat at The Puyallup, I go for the long-held traditional foods we as people of the Pacific Northwest have been eating at the fair since our childhoods.  The only thing I didn't get to was an Earthquake Burger, and I do rather regret that.  I was just too full by the time we got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment